Description

This week we were provided the opportunity to go to a grade 3 class to create stop motion videos with the students. In pairs, we worked with 3-4 students. Together we helped design and create a stop motion story.

Feelings

Throughout the experience, I was excited to be in and working with the students. However, I did find it difficult to stand back and watch them do it all themselves and in a manner that I know could be easily improved on. I was also getting frustrated when one student was trying to take over and do everything for the group and not really allowing any contributions from the teammates.

Evaluation

The experience was tough to let the students run the movie-making process and not quite understanding the process or how quickly they could change their minds on something. It also definitely showed the leaders from the followers and was a little frustrating watching one dictate what was happening and the others passively following along. On the other hand, it was great to see the students so enthusiastic about the opportunity and work together and support each other.

The stop motion video that my group created.

Analysis

Overall, it was a good learning experience in understanding who I am. It was definitely a test of my patience and a time to just let go of my desire for control. I realize that I have to let the students try it themselves and learn from their mistakes for next time.

Conclusion

I think that all that I learned is really applicable to other subjects as well. You can help and guide students to the desired product, but overall, you have to let them have their own experiences and figure out how they can do better the next time as well. I think that it was super lucky to have more of a personal, one-on-one experience too. With a larger class, it is hard to monitor and build those relationships but by finding a time to work with a small group or something like that, it can be really valuable.

Action Plan

The next time I will try to either give explicit roles as to what each student is responsible for or ensure that each student will take turns with the various jobs. I do want to try to integrate small group activities. I think that a great chance for this would be through STEM challenges.